In 1918, under the leadership of Mrs. William S. Bergland, a group of women came together to establish the Junior League of Wilmington. Its purpose was to train women to build better, stronger communities in Wilmington, Delaware. These industrious women sought to improve their community at a time when women did not have the right to vote, yet they were determined to find solutions to eliminate suffering and solve the problems of their day. The Junior League of Wilmington has been making a positive impact in the fabric of our community for over 90 years. This legacy is what makes the League different from other volunteer organizations.
Today, the League works to further our Mission of promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through trained volunteers. We empower our members to make a difference in their communities by growing their leadership and organizational skill sets to become stronger, more effective volunteers.
Benefits of Membership
We are a group of 450+ highly motivated and productive women who have a serious interest in giving back to our community. Women are in all stages of life from starting a career to retirement.
• Connections – We connect to communities in need, to people we serve, and to those with whom we serve.
• Training – Our “on-the-job” training through volunteering provides new skills for lifelong use. We have programs that help train members for effective community service and leadership, including finance, fundraising, leadership, public relations, marketing, advocacy, and personal development.
• Friendship – Activities provide opportunities to engage with like-minded women and pursue common interests.
• Leadership Development – Members have opportunities to serve on community Boards of Directors and chair committees that make an impact in the community.
• Community Impact – We take pride in our awareness of community needs and opportunities to contribute to solutions.
• Membership Transferability – League membership is transferable throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and England.
• Opportunities - For continued growth and personal fulfillment.